Calling

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

| | |
I have had some interesting and challenging conversations lately. One recent one was with a leader at our church. He took my husband and I out for coffee where we talked about life in general, both the good and the bad, and then he asked us where we see ourselved in both the near and not so near future, in life and as a part of our church.

That is a heavy question. It would be easy to break out the bucket list and start spouting off things like "buy a house" or "travel". It would be equally easy to say, when speaking of our place in our church, "we want to be part of the music ministry" (seeing as we are both musicians, and both know that is what we are called to). But his inquiry is so much bigger than that. He didn't ask for a check list, he asked for our hearts.

We didn't answer him right away, and truthfully still haven't answered him. I'm the type of person that needs time, some times lots of time, to process things like that. I don't like to respond hastily and then realize that the information I gave wasn't true to is later revealed to me.

Here is what I know: Music is my call. I am fortunate to have a husband who also has the same call on his life, though I know it will play out differently for us both. So I know that the end goal for us at this point is to be playing music full-time in some capacity. For me, it could be teaching or gigging, or maybe putting out my own album. For my husband, it is slightly different as he has no aspirations to be a solo artist, so our careers will end up looking different.

Here is what else I know: I have been blessed with my testimony. My life is a real example of death being turned into life by the abundant love and grace of God. I am now responsible to use that blessing for the betterment of the Kingdom. My story needs to be shared when ever I am given the opportunity. I have been seeking out those opportunities as well, offering myself to leaders in our home church, as well as our last church in Edmonton, that it might bring hope to others in a similar oppression to the one that I once was plagued by.

But there is so much more to my calling, to my end goal, now that I am married. My husband and I are one now, meaning our calls aren't seperate any longer. We need to seek the Lord together in order to grow together. This isn't just about me anymore, it's about us both. So how will our seperate callings, our differing passions, come together to become one cohesive family ministry? Hmmm.


-SP

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love how you are starting to look at life Steph!
God has a call on you guys as a couple, But first off we must surrender our hearts to Christ and in doing so we will have surrendered our lives! I encourage you to keep pressing in together, God has so much for you!!!
I'm cheering you guys on!!!!

Cory

Post a Comment