The Hair Cut That Changes Everything

Friday, October 22, 2010

| | |
I just got a hair cut. Usually that means that I would get a few inches taken off, and my bob would be reshaped a bit. I did that for nearly eight years. I decided to get something drastically different this time. Inspired by Rhianna, it's edgy, dark in color with blonde patches. It is awesome! I feel like a brand new person. All because of a haircut? Maybe not. But that was the catalyst, I think.


New hair!!!
I was bored. I was bored with my routine, bored with my clothes, my hair, my makeup. Nothing was fun about getting up in the morning. So I changed it. I bought some new clothes, got my hair cut and colored, colored my nails a dark red (quite contrasting to the french manicure or nude polish that has always been on them) and got a pedicure. I went to bed as Stephanie P, and woke up as someone almost entirely different; sassy, strong, confident, and beautiful. Maybe that was me all along, but now I see it. Now I see what my husband sees.

And again!
It's weird how it has been all of a sudden. I feel like my exterior matches my interior. I feel more free to be myself, because everything is so congruent and vibrant and new. I wish it were always this simple to feel so great life. Regrettably, this isn't the norm. It's not usually a few new clothes and some time at the salon that stomps out self-worth issues. Having issues with image is usually deeply rooted in other things, not just a need to modernize one's wardrobe. It concerns me that young girls I have mentored and known may seek to better their outward appearance in an attempt to mask the inward hurt or shame. That is no way to live.

I am glad for this minor transformation in me. After three and a half years of transforming my heart and mind, I got to really reward myself with a simple hair cut, and I can honestly say that it's not an attempt to hide anything, it's the icing. Five years ago, it may have been to divert attention away from a heart that was clearly broken and hurting. But today, I am moving toward becoming whole. Today is a great day.

-SP

0 comments:

Post a Comment