The Definition Of Success

Sunday, October 24, 2010

| | |
My husband turned 25 on Saturday. For the past month or so, I would make make mention of how he is getting old, and that he will be a quarter century old soon. Most of the time he laughed, sometimes he got a little bit nostalgic, but often he didn't seem to think about the comment.


We went out to one of our favourite pubs for dinner on Friday night and awaited some of our friends that would join us for drinks later. We sat, ate, talked about our days, watched the hockey and football games that were on, and then he asked me."Do you think I have something to show myself, for my life?" What a great question.


I quickly answered "of course you do" without really thinking through my response. We sat in silence (and by silence, I mean we didn't speak, but the bar was loud enough for it to not be an uncomfortable silence). Then I said what I really meant to say. "I think it's all about how you define success. If success to you is wealth and a career, than no. But if it is happiness, and you are truly as happy as you say you are, then you have everything."


My hubby and I
I think that is the truth. By the world's definition of success, we may have nothing. Neither of us are settled into our careers. I am getting ready to go to school, so really, at almost 22 years old I have barely started. We don't own a home, we are in debt, we don't have kids, and we share a vehicle. By all accounts, we haven't reached this elusive success that we see a lot of people striving for. But I would never say that we, or our friends who are in similar situations, are unsuccessful. My husband and I are happy, healthy, stable, and growing. We love each other more deeply daily, we are learning, we are not above reproach with each other or our friends. We have amazing friendships and support of our families. We are full! 


To me, that is far better. To be full is far greater. All the rest will come later, in due time, when it is right. How do you define success?


-SP

0 comments:

Post a Comment