The End Part 3: Going Home

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

| | |
A woman I consider my friend posted on her facebook today that she visited her Grandma in the hospital. Her grandma took my friend's hand and said "I want to stay here with my family but I want to go home too. I've lived a good long life." Wow.

Grandma :)
It reminded me of a few converstions I have had with my own grandma, who is in poor health. She lives in Lac La Biche with my grandpa who has also been having one health issue after another lately. They are far away from their immediate family, with my family living in Edmonton and myself and my husband residing in Calgary. They make frequent trips to Edmonton to see their doctors, but driving is becoming more and more perilous considering my grandpa's age and health, and the fact that my grandma is unable to drive. Everything seems to be against them. But she is one of the most inspiring women I have ever had the privilege to know.

She is filled with peace and joy. Every time I talk to her on the phone, she is excited; excited to be alive, excited about the Lord and her church community, and excited that her turn to enter Heaven is coming. It's weird to talk to her about death sometimes. She'll call out of the blue to keep me updated on her health, as well as that of my grandpa, and no matter if the news is good or bad she just says "oh well, I am ok. I am ready to go home." I want to have that peace when it is my time.

Fear often comes out of a lack of understanding. Perhaps that's why many people fear death. We don't understand how it might feel, what it might look like, or how our remaining family will cope. That's a lot to try to process. I admire my grandma. She doesn't analyze or seek in vain to completely understand. She just knows that she's on her way home.

-SP

1 comments:

Fickle Cattle said...

I want to have that peace too, when it's my time. I'm also hoping it's a good long while yet.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment