Undercover Boss

Monday, January 17, 2011

| | |
I prefer this kind of work...
I watched an episode of Undercover Boss last night with my husband. If you haven't seen it before, the premise is that a CEO of a large, sometimes international corporation with all the luxuries one could ask for goes undercover for a time to meet and work with lower level employees. He gets to know their triumphs, personal struggles, likes and dislikes all the while masking himself as a new employee. The entire thing is filmed under some ruse (this time, it was that he was competing with another girl for a position with the company), and we get to see how the CEO copes with the manual labour or mundane tasks that many of us would be easily good at and become accustomed to quickly.

I had seen portions of the show before, but hadn't watched a full episode until now. I was deeply moved.

The people that the show profiled are remarkable. They come from different backgrounds and social economic standings, but they all had amazing stories. It was impossible for me to not be sucked in to their stories of gain and loss as I listened and learned. As the show went on, I began to realize that I have it really good where I am. I don't like my job on the best of days, but not because it's bad. I think it's more because I know it's temporary. It's a stepping stone. If things go as we hope, I plan to be out of here in May of 2012. It's easy for me not pour my heart into what I do here because I am indifferent about it all. But I don't need to worry about what these employees do.

It was stated in my interview that my employers are more concerned about how I fit into the "family" than my skill set. They could see that I am a skilled worker from my resume. Furthermore, skills can be taught. But chemistry and belonging can't be. They also said that they want me to know that if myself or my family ever has some sort of crisis, I have the ability to come to my superiors and the company will do whatever it can to help. I was looking a the bulletin board in the lunchroom the other day, and there was a memo that said that if anyone in my household graduates from high school or a post secondary program, they are entitled to a bursary. Birthdays are posted in the lunchroom and celebrated. Career anniversaries are recognized. I'm sure that if I asked for a raise I would get one. There is a great culture in this business that I have never experienced anywhere else, but I am quick to gloss over it and forget about all the small benefits.

I am glad that I was reminded yesterday that I work for a company that cares about my own personal success as much as it cares about it's own success. I am glad to know the highest ranking individuals by name, and that there is always an open door policy. And I am thankful that, though this is a stepping stone, it is a good one; one that has added blessing to my life. I hope that I will not be so quick to complain, but that I will continue to be reminded of how good I really have it.

-SP

1 comments:

Chunky Knubby Navel said...

Oh, that show makes me tear up every time that I see it =)

Whitney

Post a Comment