Sicky-Poo

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

| | |
I have been frustrated lately. I don't like to write this sort of blog, but the New Year has been somewhat terrible so far. Not in all things. Honestly, in most things it's good and what I had hyped it up to be. But I have been having one health issue after another lately, and it's really beginning to wear on my spirit.

Is this the cure?
In the past few weeks, I have been late to work by at least a few hours several times, and have missed one full day of work due to unexplainable pains, colds, fatigue, and general unhealthiness. Without going into too much detail, I had severe abdominal pains one day, migraines another, and since yesterday have been feeling so ill due to another painful issue. Each time, I pump myself full of whatever it is I need, whether it be antibiotics, Advil, or other remedies. But each time, something else happens, and each time is worse than the last.

For example, yesterday I started to feel pain. This is a familiar pain, one that I can easily self-diagnose and have a standing prescription for at the pharmacy. So I thought about perhaps leaving early from work, talked to my superiors about the possibility, and decided to try to make it as long as possible. I ended up feeling much better by the end of the day. I came home to my pills waiting for me on the counter (my husband is wonderful and picked them up for me), quickly took one and prepared dinner and got ready to go to Yoga.

Yoga is my new obsession. You sweat out so many toxins and get a full body work out. While I don't agree with all of the religious concepts attached to the practice, I do agree with the basics. I leave feeling relaxed, accomplished, and energized. I don't think about anyone else in the room, I just block everything out and focus on my breathing and doing the postures correctly. And I can already see the benefits of the class, and am excited to do it more regularly. But last night, I sweat so much that my pain increased tenfold, and I felt worse than I had in a really long time. I took another pill, and then spent much of the night trying to find a comfortable position in bed. When I was still wide awake at midnight I got up and moved to the couch, still trying to find that perfect position. I didn't want to keep my husband up anymore with my rapid movements and labored breathing.

I finally fell asleep in an oddly comfortable position, and woke up a few hours later (I think, I don't know when exactly) and made my way back to my bed. Worst. Night. Ever. I woke up this morning, still in agony, and went into work late still waiting for the meds to kick in. This seems to be my life right now. If it isn't one thing, it's another, and everything seems to be happening all at once. I visit doctors, but they don't give me real answers. They just prescribe something else that might work. I am not satisfied with that anymore.

So I am going to see a naturopathic doctor in town. My husband and his parents call him the voodoo doctor. From the stories I hear, he is unconventional, and that might be putting it lightly. But I have seen good results in my parents-in-law and my husband. My husband has allergies in the summer, and working as a landscaper has to deal with them everyday. This doctor gave him a home, over the counter remedy that has basically cured his allergies. My father-in-law suffers from terrible arthritis, and has seen a major decrease in his pain. So I wonder what he can do for me. I hope that whatever it is, it works quickly.

-SP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like me a few years ago, except it was a mysterious heart arrhythmia! Not fun. It's worked itself out since then, but not knowing or having a solution for it at the time was no fun.
Praying that something works for you soon!
-Kate

Carl S said...

Just out of curiosity, what religious concepts/ideologies do you find in Bikram yoga?

- Carl

Stephanie P said...

I just mean the Hindu beliefs that are prevalent in some types of Yoga.

Post a Comment