You Don't Get What You Don't Ask For

Friday, January 21, 2011

| | |
I can't ask for better friends
I had originally thought that I would write on one subject, one that is completely far removed from this one. But I have been thinking about this ever since I saw it on YouTube. I will write about my other topic tomorrow or Sunday (sorry C, haha).

I was checking out Digg yesterday, as I usually do on slow mornings at work. I was reading various news and novelty articles, when I came across this video from YouTube. I watched it, and then looked for other related videos and found that he had posted this video first, and then followed it up with this and later this. You should at least watch the first two.

Basically this guy posted a video last November petitioning all millionaires, and later billionaires, for one million dollars. He told them that they have many millions, and asked them to spare one for no specific reason other than the fact that he asked for it. He is not in great need, he didn't beg, he just posted a few videos hoping that someone would bite. On January 16th, he posted another video of himself, dressed in a tux with a goofy grin on his face, because a someone decided to heed his request. On February 2nd, he will be presented with a cheque for one million dollars, and has a notarized letter from the millionaire's lawyer stating the terms of the agreement; that he will receive one million dollars and will not owe anything in return.

Understandably, some people are upset by the fact that his plot worked. I am, simply because I didn't think of it first. At least I'm being honest. But this is the ultimate example of one of my two life motto's. You don't get what you don't ask for.

I have been known to surprise people with my brazen forthrightness. I have asked senior management to take me for coffee and for lunch. I once got a ten percent discount at the dentist because of a joke. I have asked for raises and bonuses and have gotten them. I asked the president of our company for a pizza day at work, and he said yes when everyone told me there was no way he would.

But I have said for years now that you don't get what you don't ask for. If you want something, go and get it. This guy did, and I commend him. Congratulations, that is awesome. Now please give me 100,000 dollars. Thanks.

-SP

0 comments:

Post a Comment