Deeper Daily

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

| | |
I woke up this morning to discomfort. I showered while my insides ached and began my day. I had felt this way before on more than one occasion, and because of that have a standing prescription at the pharmacy for the antibiotic that cures all that ails me, but I had to get to work. Luckily, my husband has the day off. I told him my predicament, and said that I would wait a bit longer to make sure that I was correct about the cause of my symptoms, and would call him later if I needed him to pick up the drugs for me.

I got to work and by that time knew that I was right. I needed the medication to avoid a more severe pain, so I called the pharmacy and told them my husband would be there within the hour to pick up my prescription. I then called my husband who was lounging in bed. He hasn't been feeling the greatest for the past day or so, so he was quite happy to have a slow morning at home with no real errands or commitments. Unfortunately, I very inopportunely changed his plans.

We've all been there before; laying in bed one minute, scrambling to find day old clothing the next. He went from relaxing and recovering in bed, and preparing for some session work with a friend, to scrambling to get out the door as fast as possible, make the hour round trip to me and back, only to go to our friend's house right away without even so much as a shower, and so he was very understandably frustrated. I felt bad, because if it weren't for me he would have had some good, quality time to himself. He quickly reassured me that it's not my fault, and that it's just the situation that he finds frustrating.

Everyone handles frustration and stress differently. My husband handles it graciously; he can be frustrated or angry, but he rarely loses control of his temper, and he is quick to ensure that the blame isn't being placed on people who have no responsibility. I am almost the complete opposite. I get frustrated quickly and am quick to blame, slow to reason. Why is that? I see the same traits in my parents. They are quick to be hot tempered and try to manipulate situations to their benefit. Am I just a product of how I was raised in that regard?

Best day ever
I am not blaming my parents for my mistakes. I know that I am an intelligent adult with ability to choose to react differently. And a lot of the time, I do. I am not an expert at it, but I try. I am just amazed at how different people are. My husband is one way, similar to his family, and I am another, similar to mine.

I think that we are lucky to have each other. The more that we discover about ourselves, the more we teach one another. I am fortunate to have a husband that teaches me a better way of handling stress and frustration. Whether he knows it or not, I learned a lot from him today. He was real and honest about being upset, but he wasn't a jerk to me or anyone else because he was upset. Every single day that I'm with him, I discover new reasons to fall in love with him all over again, and today this was my reason.

-SP

1 comments:

Christine said...

You two are just so sweet!
But it's true, we are all products of our parents ability to handle situations. Much like you I'm quick to blame and manipulate to my benefit, but Tim places his frustrations where it's due. And you're right we're both adults with the intelligence and ability to react differently. I hope you continue to work on this, as will I. Your blogs never cease to amaze me in their ability open some of the same thoughts within my own life. Your blog rocks! and so do you!

Post a Comment