Don't Forget To Remember

Thursday, November 11, 2010

| | |


Remembrance Day is important to me. It always was important, but now that my brother is in the military, it weighs heavily with me. I remember learning about it in school and reading the poem "In Flanders Fields". No matter how much we studied it, I didn't understand it like I do today, and probably still don't understand and appreciate it like our troops do.

My boss went around the office and shop and handed out poppies this morning. It's a small act, and by the end of the day most employees will have either lost theirs or removed it, only to chuck it in the garbage until next year. But I appreciated seeing someone walk around and remind everyone to remember; remember that the freedom we have today is due to the bravery of those who came before us, and remember that there are still troops willingly risking their lives for us today. But for most, that doesn't quite hit home. Yes, we can all appreciate the veterans that are still around to share their stories, but what does this day actually mean to us? What does it mean to you?

My brother will be serving in Afghanistan next year for the majority of the year, and before that will be going to the states for acclimatization training. With the deadline right now, he'll be done January 1, 2011, but if they extend the deadline his tour could be longer. I am terrified, but this is his choice, his calling, and I support him as best I can. It is difficult for me not to consider that I could lose him, that we all could lose him, while he is over there. I try not to dwell on that, but I would be naive to ignore that possibility. As I think about that, though, my spirit is deeply humbled. He would not just die, but he would die for peace, for freedom, for me so that I do not have to pay the price. What a beautiful and brave act. I'm sure it's not his first choice, just as it's not mine, but he wouldn't die in vain.

No one fought in vain in the world wars. So please, do not forget to remember. Calgary has a memorial set up for the fallen soldiers, I will be sure to visit it this evening. Please do your part, take a moment of silence, and really be thankful. Don't forget to participate, don't sit idly by and not really think about what this day means. We must honour those who fought for us in Flanders fields, where poppies blow...

-SP

0 comments:

Post a Comment