Ew Dentists

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

| | |
Usually my blogs are much more insightful and deep and/or confusing than this one will be. But this is all I can think about right now. I went to he dentist today after breaking a temporary filling on a popcorn seed a few weeks back. I dislike dentists. Dentists are nice human beings, but it is unpleasant to be awake and feel someone drilling into your jaw while they are trying to talk to about normal stuff. Seriously, you're currently ripping out part of my tooth, and my mouth is set in the open position. Can we please not talk?

Brush your teeth...
Being at the dentist isn't as bad as the aftermath though. I left his office at around 12:30 this afternoon, and half my face was completely frozen. I had only eaten two granola bars by then, and was super hungry, but wasn't supposed to eat because I might bite my tongue or lip or cheek. I went to Starbucks, because that was about the only thing that could make me feel somewhat better, got my favourite drink and called my husband. I would imagine he found it difficult to understand me with my temporary speech impediment, but I made it through with little to no drooling, a small triumph.

I am fine now, but ate about a half hour before I should have (which was still three hours after I normally eat lunch) and bit my lip really bad. I felt it a little because the freezing had eased enough to alarm my brain, but on top of the headache that I have as a result of the needles and drills, I also have a swollen and sore lip.

Is this why everyone hates dentists? And is it the hatred of dentists the reason that that profession has a high suicide rate? I suppose I will never know that, as I have no aspirations to become one. And I don't hate the dentist, but it's not my favourite passtime. I had been to see one in May before moving, and before that probably hadn't been in at least six years. I am not a fan of the experience as a whole, no matter how nice the doctor, or how relaxing the waiting area. The sound/feeling of drills kind of ruin it for me.

-SP

2 comments:

marian said...

I actually rather like having my teeth cleaned! However, my detestation for fluoride weighs more heavily so I still am not fond of going to the dentist. And I HATED getting a filling, but that has only happened once, so not a big d.

Christine said...

I have to agree with Marian, I like having my teeth cleaned and I like going to the dentist, but I haven't had a cavity since I had my baby teeth, so I don't really remember the frozen feeling. Sucks about your lip though, boo.

Post a Comment