Escape Artist

Friday, November 12, 2010

| | |
The next Harry Potter movie is about to hit theatres, and I couldn't be more excited. I have been anticipating the release of it ever since I read the book last summer. I read the entire series in a little under two months (I had a lot of down time at work) and have never been more enamored with fiction novels.

Usually I read non-fiction. I like opinions. I like books about what people experience, how they see their world. For years after high school that was the only type of books that I would read. I felt like I was learning, growing, developing my own thoughts and conclusions while reading those of others. I quickly grew weary of reading all together.

Before Harry Potter, the last book I read was probably about a year before. I didn't have time for reading anymore. I didn't find that I got any sort of relaxation or release out of it. But all along, I was reading too much of the wrong genre. I randomly decided one day that I would read the Harry Potter series. I had read the first and second book in elementary school when they first came out, but my parents got on the Focus On The Family bandwagon and banned the "heathen" material from my house because it "glorified the use of witch craft". Meanwhile, they encouraged me to read the Chronicles Of Narnia because it was by a Christian author, you know, the one with the magical wardrobe and the talking lion. Weird. Anyway, I decided to go get Harry Potter, and read each book from the beginning. The first three were the same plot format, and I almost lost interest. But as I got into the fourth book, and each subsequent book, I became more and more involved and interested in the twisty turny plot. I was always so excited to see where it would take me, what adventure would unfold next, as if I was part of the story.

I am re-reading the 7th book, and am more in love with it the second time around than the first. All the little things that I missed because I was so excited to see what happens next are coming out of the woodwork. I find the series as a whole to be brilliant and captivating.

As I think about this, I am wondering why we get so into these fictional stories. Why is it that I read this book, and my sense of adventure seems to find peace and rest? Why is it that when I watch a romantic comedy I feel romanced and beautiful? Why is it that when I watch a drama, whether it be a television drama or a movie, I get so into it, so connected with the story that tears fill my eyes when something negative occurs? Is it unhealthy to become so invested in these shows and books that I have physical reactions to the plot, as if I myself am experiencing the pain, the happiness, the urgency, the love, the hate or the grief?

I think that everyone searches for an escape. An escape can take many forms; it can really be most anything. I suppose the real question is not at all about what type of escape you have, unless it is sinful and/or damaging to you or other people. It is what are you trying to escape from? What am I escaping from? Am I enticed because of a plot, or because I would rather not think about my own life for a while? I am not saying that escapes are a bad thing. They can be good and necessary. But they need to be kept in check. No escape should be a means to run away from life, or put off the hard things. It's healthy to take short breaks, but it is unhealthy to decide not to resume living your life.

Love HP this much!
I guess I am thinking about this because I was (still am) a master escape artist. I knew all the tricks to put off dealing with the pain that chained me, as if in a cold prison cell, and instead put on a beautiful, spontaneous, excited, but extremely fake, outer mask. Knowing what I know now, I think it would be impossible to pretend my life is peachy when it isn't, at least to that extent. I am lucky, so lucky, to have been released from the strongholds of my ignorance, and can now be beautiful, spontaneous, excited and real. That is far better than who I was before.

I leave you with this, the Harry Potter trailer for the movie coming out on November 19th! If you haven't seen it, you must, and then you must go see the movie! It'll be awesome.

-SP

1 comments:

Marian said...

About finding an escape:
In ancient Greece, all people, no matter what their social or econamic status, were required to visit the theatre (I don't remember how often) to vicariously experience the emotions and make daily life easier.
:3 So it is really quite normal.

Post a Comment